More and more spend hundred and even thousands of dollars yearly on weight loss supplements in the hope of speeding up their metabolism. The main desire is to be attractive and accepted but it is becoming a more difficult goal to achieve. The fitness industry is booming but still, a lot of people are unable to cut that fat in spite of all the exercise and diet efforts. In America, more than sixty percent of adults are overweight and thirty percent are considered obese. This is because one, a lot of weight loss products promise unrealistic goals; two, dietary supplement manufacturers rely on the overweight person’s failure to survive; and three, the information about the supplements in the market is just written by themselves just to make a sale.
Although the Food and Drug Administration has successfully banned illegal marketers, some products are still available. Consumers can be deceived by the labels which claim caffeine or ephedra fee not knowing that these supplements compose of other ingredients that may pose the same health risks. These include heart and digestive problems, headaches, insomnia, and even psychological side effects.
Other supplement manufacturers say that their products contain EGCG which is a phytochemical ingredient found in green tea. This so-called component claims to speed up metabolism but in reality, poses to reduce the risk of cancer. Some studies denote that it could slightly increase the potential to burn calories and now can be found in many weight loss supplements. It has good points on the other hand since the body might conform to EGCG after a period of time. Eve the weight loss benefit could sum up to 60 to 70 calories a day. This helps prevent excessive weight gain.
A few other significant effects of weight loss supplements are that they may contain ingredients that makers claim will prevent the absorption of carbohydrates. One good example is Chitosan, which appears most promising, which in fact shows no positive result in fat absorption. It could even take up to seven months for men to lose just a pound of body fat and for women, there is no fat loss at all. Thyroid supplements act as thyroid replacements to help regulate and optimize the thyroid at a higher level. This they say makes the body feel like a couch potato and won’t perform the job it has to.
Diet Pills. According to manufacturers, diet pills use natural ingredients capable of prolonging life and contain alcohol used in medication or flavoring. One thing’s for sure, never take diet pills as a substitute for cutting calories without the doctor’s recommendation. There are simple but important steps to be followed when taking diet pills:
1. Never crush diet pills to mix in drinks or soups. Take it whole with a full glass of water.
2. Diet pills cause a person to urinate more frequently due to their diuretic effect. This could lead to dehydration, thus, causing complications. As a precaution, it is best to drink eight glasses of water every day while on diet pills.
3. Take only the recommended dosage. Taking more than required will not help you lose weight but increase the risk of side effects.
4. Heartbeat should be less than 86 beats per minute. Stop taking the pills if it reaches 90 or higher that is why regular checking of pulse is a must.
5. Always follow the instructions set by the dietician and/or doctor and not only rely on what’s enclosed in the box. Also, diet pills will only work as expected if a diet plan is being followed.
6. After three months, stop taking the diet pills. Common diet phenylpropanolamine is safe to use only for up to sixteen weeks. Other studies show that it can cause health problems if taken under one month.